Paulo Martel @ University of Algarve
Paulo Martel is a teacher of Bioinformatics, Structural Biochemistry
and Enzimology at the Department of Biological Sciences and Bioengineering, Faculty of
Sciences and Technology. He is a theoretical biochemist working in computer
modelling and simulation of biomolecules, with an emphasis in the study of
electrostatic effects on protein structure and function and the development
of new methods for macromolecular electrostatic calculations.
Between 2004-2014 he was scientific coordinator of a research unit at
the University of Algarve, the Center for Structural and Molecular
Biomedicine(CBME). This unit is now known as
Centre of Biomedical Research (CBMR).
- Protein structure and dynamics
- Modelling of electrostatics interactions in proteins
- Theoretical calculations of pKa values for protein residues
- Role of electrostatic interactions in protein structure and function
- Application of Biomolecular simulation methods to a diverse set of biological problems
- Structure-function relationships of elicitin proteins from Phytophthora oomycetes.
- Modelling and molecular evolution of Bone and matrix Gla proteins
- Molecular pharmacogenomics of P450 proteins - modelling the effect of SNP's.
- Effect of vanadate oligomers on the motor proteins myosin and actin.
- Structural Biochemistry
- Biochemistry (Lic.Enfermagem)
- Molecular Modelling in Drug Design
- Soundplot: a Python tool for music visualization.
- Interactive Python tools for scientic education.
- Scientific applications of Virtual Reality.
Paulo Martel, Assistant Professor
Department of Biological Sciences and Bioengineering/Centre for Biomedical Research
Faculty of Sciences and Technology
University of Algarve, Campus de Gambelas
Office: room 3.12, FCT building #8
Email: Contact me